International Seminar: Which future for Vernacular Architecture & Earthen Architecture?
International Seminar & Round-Table on:
Which future for vernacular architecture & earthen architecture?
During the last years, vernacular architecture and earthen architecture have faced multiple challenges worldwide, which have threaten their survival. In several regions, intangible knowledge is disappearing fast, in part due to the fact there is less people keeping the building culture and its know-how alive.
To discuss the future of vernacular architecture and earthen architecture, we are inviting interested professionals and researchers to meet in Porto, on June 15 & 16, 2023.
The event will be structured in three sessions with debates and a round-table. The International Seminar on Vernacular and Earthen Architecture will be dedicated to vernacular documentation, World Heritage, intangible knowledge, knowledge transfer, climate action, adaptation, and a final round-table discussion with input from participations. The key-purpose of the round-table will be to establish ways forward, on how to keep vernacular and earthen architecture alive.
A publication with the paper’s proceedings, and the round-table notes, will be published in 2023.
Session 1: Preserving the Past
Vernacular documentation & World Heritage
Session 2: Valuing the Present
Intangible knowledge & knowledge transfer
Session 3: Preparing for the Future
Climate action & adaptation
Round-Table: Which future for vernacular architecture & earthen architecture?
VERSUS+ | Heritage for People
UNESCO Chair on earthen architecture, building cultures, & sustainable development.
UPV, Spain; UNIFI, Italy; UNICA, Italy; CRAterre-ENSAG, France.
- Interested speakers should send an email to: email@example.com
- The email should include: session title; paper title; authors; affiliation (institution, & country), and short abstract (max. 200 words).
- Organisers will respond: in the following three days, informing about the acceptance (or not) of the abstract.
- If the abstract is accepted: speakers will present their communication in Porto, on June 15 & 16.
- Speakers should submit: A 4 to 6 page paper should be send by July 7, 2023. Further instructions will be sent, following the acceptance of the abstract. The paper will be published in the Seminar proceedings following the event.
- Paper presentation and publication: English.
- Participant’s registration for 2-days of Seminar & Roundtable- 20€
- Speakers registration with abstract accepted – 0€
- Lunch for speakers and participants for June 15 – 7€
- Lunch for speakers and participants for June 16 – 7€
- Lunch is provided in the University cantina.
- Lunch can only be provided, if lunch registration is done by June 11.
- Proceedings are not included in the registration fee, and should be purchased separately.
Recommendations for Poster:
- The poster must have the following dimensions: 90 cm of width and 120 cm of height;
- The title of the poster must be: Arial, Bold, size 40pt. Followed by the names of the authors, in Arial letter, size 28pt;
- The poster should integrate images (photos, charts or graphs), with reference to credits / authorship of images;
- The poster should be brought to the International Seminar, already printed on matte paper;
- It is the responsibility of the author to post the poster on the space allocated to posters, in the morning of June 15, between 08h30 and 08h50, under the guidance of the Local Committee;
- The posters should be withdrawn by the authors on June 16, at 4.00pm – the end of the last session;
- The Organising Committee is not responsible for any misplacement of posters.